Ways to become generous
How can you become a more generous person? Let me count the ways…
- Set the intention to be generous. Make the conscious choice to be generous on a daily basis.
- Start small. One does not have to be wealthy to be generous. And one does not always have to give money to be generous. You can be generous by giving things you can make. You can also volunteer your time, your compassion, or your expertise in a certain field.
- Notice the things you could do to make someone else’s life a little easier and happier. Develop an awareness of what other’s may need.
- Think of specific ways in which you can help the people you know, and then do them without expectation. Be sure to tell them to give forward, not back.
- Let your generosity branch out to strangers. Hold open that door at the store. Pay the toll for the person behind you. Compliment someone you don’t know.
- Serve a cause that is greater than your own life. You can help fund it, or you can offer your time and energy.
- Let your gratitude lead to generosity. Be grateful for the things you have. As you experience generosity in your own life, you’ll find yourself becoming more generous to others.
Being generous is not difficult. Practicing generosity is an intentional, conscious decision we make in our lives, not out of duty, but out of love. The generous person is one who believes in the unlimited abundance of the Universe, finds success in helping others succeed, and believes changing even one life is worthwhile.
The generous person gives because s/he is a reflection of the Universe. As we grow in generosity, so does the Universe as it expands through us. All it wants to do is give because all it can do is give. Let’s give our thanks for such love, and let’s start giving.
What will you do to foster generosity? Please share your comments below; they are always welcome.